Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Outstanding Country Coach People-The Energizer Bunny



I MET A LOT OF OUTSTANDING PEOPLE DURING MY TENURE IN THE COUNTRY COACH MARKETING DEPARTMENT.  
ONE SUCH PERSON WAS THE ENERGIZER BUNNY.

The Energizer Bunny
Once upon a time there was a bright little red haired girl. Her mom and dad divorced and so she bounced from one to the other. She tried to be worthy of the love of both her parents. She grew up doubting herself. It was very important to her parents to have a pretty daughter. She didn't really feel like she fit in… She was feisty, though, and not a quitter. She taught herself to dance, and she was the BEST dancer in the school (and something I witnessed firsthand at a rally years later).  It was a difficult childhood. One day her mom brought home a new boyfriend. Opal had a bad feeling about this one…and she was right. When Opal was feeling brave enough, she went to her mother, who became very angry at her ‘lies” and kicked her daughter out on the spot. Scarcely into the double digits in age, with only her little Girl Scout metal dinner kit tucked under her arm and the clothes on her back, she left that house. She found work in restaurants lying about her age. She determined to rise above her situation, she worked hard!  She put a roof over her head, and she survived. Not only survived, but eventually thrived. She learned the 'business' from the ground up eventually managing catering operations. In a sad turn of fate, her mother passed away later in life from a terminal illness and she bequeathed quite an inheritance to her adult daughter. I like to think it was her way of making amends for letting her daughter down decades ago. My friend told me she’d rather have had her mother than all the money in the world. That’s just the kind of person she is.

I met her when she walked in for a job interview. Petite little gal. Long red hair and the most beautiful bright eyes. Always impeccably dressed and yet, what I was most struck by was her personality. I knew I liked her within moments of hiring her. And smart, my word, I envied her knowledge. In her role as Events Coordinator, she taught me so many things I didn't know of the catering business! What entrees to choose because they plate well for a huge group, which entrees to avoid. What items to Always require on a breakfast buffet, what is appropriate pricing for a pony keg, so many details. I was a rally planner of owners events with huge budgets and she was my right hand. This woman was the Energizer bunny! Our company’s management at the time had us severely understaffed in my department and I was working 60 hour weeks. She matched me hour for hour, week in and week out. When she said finally, “We need more help or I need to look elsewhere,” I did everything but throw a big girl fit asking for extra help for her. I failed. She left ...Today this little dynamo is very successful with a beautiful family. Anyone meeting her would never guess the road of hard knocks this girl traveled. 

I came out of that work experience a far better person for having spent this time with her. I think my work ethic grew even stronger because of her. To this day, she is a kick in my butt when I need one. I am  reminded No Obstacle is a dead end if you have the will to keep fighting, the determination to rise above your current situation, and the belief that there IS a way through it and beyond it. Never say quit. Always get up and try again.  Believe in oneself even if it may seem no one else does.

This amazing Country Coach friend is an Overcomer in the purest sense of the word. 

(story shared with her permission) 

No comments:

Post a Comment