Tuesday, July 15, 2014

23 years of RV Industry and Country Coach Inc Fun



I’m approaching a RV industry “anniversary date” of the day I said “Yes” during an interview for a Marketing position in Country Coach, Inc. There has been a level of good, the great and very miniscule portion of the ugly during a 23 year long (and still going) addiction to all things Country Coach!

You know I took the original Country Coach job interview as a “favor” to a job placement manager at Trend Business College, whom I feared might not give me a “good job interview” if I didn’t go to this one. Boy! Did I not know what a good thing this job interview was to be!

In that interview the story of Country Camper, all the way back to the Barbie Toy of Bob Lee’s daughter for which the company was named, captured my imagination, my interest, and my journey began.

Through the years, I met thousands of Country Coach motorcoach owners, and their other brand motorcoach owner friends. The company treated me very well, from Bob Lee and Ed Read and other upper management staff members on down the thousands of CC employees who worked for the company during my years there. Quality people through and through, all passionate about building the world’s finest motorcoach. Bob Lee said, "Build it as if your own mother is going to drive it."  It sparked a passion in me,  I poured my mind and soul into helping build the Country Coach brand, to market the company and its motorcoaches, and to promote the enjoyment the CC lifestyle through the world’s finest rallies.

When the company closed its doors and went through a bankruptcy auction in early 2010, a dream job ended. But I had no regrets—I received far more than I gave in my opinion, and oh what great friends I now have across the nation. Today in fact as a motorcoach found a new home at Premier RV Services in Junction City, I got a BIG hug and a “Thank you for all your help,” from the proud new owners. It feels good to work in this industry.

If I could have someone speak the highest praise of me, it would be:  I will never compromise the customer experience.  Ever. I have always been an advocate for delivering the very best for the customer, refusing to downgrade the quality of services and unwilling to sacrifice the customer’s experience at any event for which I was responsible for managing.

There are only a couple potholes I went through on my Country Coach journey. Once a rally was cancelled and monies motorcoach owners had committed in rally registration fees had to be sorted out and returned.  The company was struggling and when the decision came down the hall to marketing that they were going to cancel the rally, the limited part I had in the ‘refund’ process was providing a spreadsheet to the accountants noting who had registered. Accounting and the bank (who was involved by that time) handled the refunds. It was not an expedient process. Since I had signed the customer up originally for the rally, I wanted to bulldog it through. It was HARD not to be able to simply put in the check requests to accounting and then see them immediately printed out. It got straightened out eventually, but I hated the process.

The Job I Didn't Take. All who know me know that I hold Bob Lee, the founder of Country Coach, in high esteem. He is one of a kind.  He had called one day after the closing of Country Coach and asked me to meet him down at the airport offices. He said he wanted  me to write his story—the story of Country Coach, the Lee family and how the company grew and evolved in tandem with the industry’s growth. We’d include Kay from Monaco, and Matt from Safari, and other movers and shakers in the industry during those formative years.  Include their stories too… I wanted to say YES in the worst way. Who wouldn’t want to work with Bob researching, fact gathering, sifting through historical stuff, his photos and news articles across the country, and telling the story. What a wonderful coffee table book it would be. But…I had to keep my word already given just the day before to the then president of one of the owners clubs to help build back up a member benefits package. At that time that club's member benefits package had shrunk. All the Company Gimmes "benefits" were gone. Membership was down. I worked just over a year at the task. I will always regret having not accepted Bob Lee's offer instead. If Bob and Terry revisit the idea of that coffee table book, you can be very sure this time I will make myself available.

As a senior manager of marketing I got to interface with various departments across Country Coach. There were so many craftsmen and women who were actually artisans. There was Julie Otis who covered more ground and juggled more balls than anyone I ever met in office administration, Karen Smith who was my Country Coach friend-truly without conditions of what she could get from me "friend". There were experts like Dave Stevens & Rick Ramirez in technical publications;  Opal Hale as rally coordinator was unmatched;  Mark Anderson, Ed Read in upper management were the best of the best;  and so many others, Dave & Barb Diamond, Matt Howard, Jack Courtemanche, Nancy Read, Carolyn Gsell, Jim Cooley, Star Wood, Scott McFarland, Craig Burden, Kevin Atkinson, Brian Keys, Becky Crowson, Chris Snyder, Larry Sherwood, Doug Rutherford, Kari Reynolds, Laurie Freeman and many more. … Couldn’t begin to name them all. I think many of them had Country Coach motor oil coursing through the veins!

People in this industry are the best. The RV-related business owners, the motorcoaching enthusiasts, and the business professionals across the industry that I work along side are some of the most capable service providers and promoters of this wonderful lifestyle... 

And the Country Coach owners….I wouldn’t dream of trying to name them….I'd leave some out. I got to coordinate multi-day events for upwards of 300 coach families. Those were great big parties! I got to meet SO many motorcoachers....I call them friends and many are now family. I look forward to seeing  them at the Friendship Rally each year, and  at Premier RV, where I now work. Some I don’t get to see as they don’t attend rallies any more, or they have sold their coaches. Others have gone on to motor on heavenly highways…My sweet friend Blanche Miller is one of those. Vern Meighen said “Country Coach Friends are Lifelong Friends,” and boy, is he right. I count Vern and Phyllis among my strongest friends. 

For me, the journey continues in the RV industry today at Premier RV Services.  Gary Obermire and Louie Courtemanche were mid-management and upper management friends at Country Coach. They know their stuff and they love people! They have a great business in Junction City! What makes me excited to come in each day to 325 East First Avenue is the knowledge that they are basing their entire business on the Customer Experience. Friends serving friends. Boy does that strike a chord for me. A company based on 20+ acres of the original Country Coach campus, owned by gentlemen who respect their customers as friends first and customers second….Taking care of their customers, doing what's right. It’s almost like being back home at my Country Coach LLC marketing desk again.  Well not quite, because now I do a fair amount of accounting functions too, and if you know me, you know I’d much rather WRITE YOU A STORY ABOUT ACCOUNTING THAN DO ACCOUNTING. 

Every day brings friends through the doorway. Motorcoachers visit Premier RV to get service, or store their coaches, or shop for a new to them pre-owned highline motorcoach. Tom Connor is in house right now at Premier. He and his wife attended so many Class Reunion Rallies through the years... I have enjoyed seeing them.

I’ll see some of you at the Friendship Rally this August. I also help out the Country Coach Friends Incorporated Board of Directors in any way I can....and these past weeks its been serving as Pat Detloff's helper. He's rally host at the 4th Annual Friendship Rally. Thanks Country Coach Friends for all the great things this club has brought to my life too!

 ...so, I am a Country Coach Cheerleader through and through. I love the RV industry! What a great gig--23 years and counting….






No comments:

Post a Comment