Monday, May 13, 2013

Fulltimer's Primer on Coach Maintenance, Part 2

Rosemary Mancillas, Country Coach Magna owner, authored this article in 2005. As it is full of common sense maintenance info, I am happy to share it here in the blogspot.

Fulltimer's Primer, Part 2

ENGINE-There is no mystery to the maintenance on these Detroit, CAT or Cummins engines or the Allison transmissions. Just like a car, they need regular oil changes and lubrication. There are mileage related issues involving valve adjustments, fluid and filter changes, maintenance intervals for your engines that can be accessed in your engine manual or online from the manufacturer--some specific to RV usage. My Magna has a "homing" device that causes an annual spring migration to the Country Coach Factory Service Facility in Junction City, OR. I know my limitations and I rely on wonderful technicians at the factory and at rallies to work with me to keep my Magna running relatively problem free for another year. I appreciate this preventative maintenance and keeping an eye out for potential problems.

So far so good! I try to remain knowledgeable of scheduled maintenance items that need to be done so I know what to request of service. I have a maintenance info sheet for the engine (specific to an RV from CAT) and I keep track of when fluids need to be changed and other items needing inspection or adjustments. If I don't know what something is--I ask.  The bottom line is there is nothing like a great technician who knows his way around the engine and the chassis and who will look things over carefully to prevent possible problems.

I also highly recommend joining other "Class Reunion" rally in Oregon and attending seminars given about the coach and its components. You can never know enough. Some very knowledgeable owners and Country Coach writers wrote excellent articles in previous magazine issues. (Note: Although the days of Class Reunion Rallies are past, the annual Country Coach Friends Inc Friendship Rally is similar to the flavor of that Class Reunion format. Technical seminars are presented by several seasonsed highline service technicians, vendors like Carr Industries, Dickman Tire Center, and more.)

CHASSIS-The chassis is complicated because it involves so many components from mechanical to hydraulic to electrical to cosmetic. Some are common sense like spraying moving fricitional parts with WD-40 or some other lubricating, cleaning material. I have learned by experience what spare parts to carry with me on the road. By far the most space in my bays is taken up with cleaning materials, spare parts, tools, fluids and lubricrants.

I live full time in my Magna and travel around the country so I do not have easy access to a home base to keep items I might need. Extra fluids and light bulbs are a no-brainer, but I do carry an extra engine serpentine belt, spare ride height valves, lug nut covers, Onan generator maintenance items, some bay door gas springs, ligth fixtures, cabinet catches, exterior lens covers that seem to disappear, some miscellaneous hardware, tools, silicone and a variety of glue. Yes, I do have a rechargeable drill with interchangeable accessories that I use on occasion. I had to learn the difference between a machine screw and a wood screw. I am building a collection. Instead of a "button jar" or thimbles, I have a "screw jar." It's like cooking; I hate not having something handy that I need, so my cabinet is full of spices I might use once a year.

I made sure my owner's manual and chassis manuals are in a cabinet that is easily accessible in a pinch, not buried in the bay somewhere should I need to find them on the shoulder of a two-lane highway in the pouring rain. I guess I would have made a good Boy Scout "always prepared." I often wonder how on earth some folks have room for a TV cabinet and poker table, freezer and ping pong table in event these big Country Coach basements. They must not be full-timers and only travel 60 miles from home base.

Here is a "quick and dirty" list of critical maintenance issues.

1) Hydraulic Fluid needs to be checked carefully when "hot" (operating temperature) engine "off" with a clean rag or paper towel. Hydraulic fluid and filter should be changed every two years or 25,000 miles.

2) Wet Cell Batteries-Check water level at least once a month. More often if dry camping. Read the specific recommendations and directions for "equalizing" batteries to extend their life. Some people swear by this. I personally have not equalized my batteries and have not had any problems. (AGM or Lifeline batteries do not need fluid adde as they are sealed. They are recommended for the "house" but not engine cranking. Check with Lifeline about their recommendations for equalizing.) Wet cells typically last three to four years and Lifelines are guaranteed for five years.

3) Check Coolant Level-Be sure to add the SAME type of coolant (and 50/50 mix with distilled or de-ionized water only.) There are four types of coolants and they come in many colors. Read your label carefully. Standard coolant and Extended Life coolant should NEVER be mixed. (Coolant issues were covered in great detail in a previous article in the Destinations magazine by James Sonntag-Summer and Autumn 2004 issues.) Standard coolant needs to be tested for coolant additives (SCAs or DCAs) concentration and may need to be "recharged" with a supplemental coolant additive or filter replacement to prevent corrosion, mineral deposits and other damage. Check the coolant level in the generator as well.

4)Extended Life Coolant (ELC) has different requirements but needs to be tested once a year. Do NOT mix coolant types!

5) Check the Water Separator on the primary fuel filter for water contamination. Empty the water contaminated fuel out through the valve on the bottom and dispose of it appropriately.

6) Check Air Filter Indicator to see if the air filter needs replacement or is becoming blocked with dust. Reset the indicator and recheck after driving to be sure the reading is consistent.

7) Change Engine Thermostat every two to three years.

8) Caterpillar engines like my C-10-Change Engine Oil and Filter every 15,000 miles or one year. (Cummins has different requirements depending on the engine model. Check your Cummins manual.) If you are going to park the motorhome for a season, get the oild changed first!

9) Lubrication of zerk fittings and driveline universal joints and slip-joint every 5,000 miles or one year.

10) Transmission - Per Allison's recommendations: DEXRON III fluid and filters need replacing initially at 5,000 miles then 25,000 miles or two years. Allison's Transynd synthetic fluid needs only the filter replaced after 75,000 miles or three years, fluid and filter replacement in four years or 150,000 mile. (This schedule applies if the transmission was flushed thoroughly before changing to Transynd so there is little residue from the Dexron fluid.) (NOTE: Per Country Coach manufacturing engineering department, the following recommendations apply. Dexron III - Main filter only to be changed initially at 5,000 miles, thereafter fluid and both filters at 12 months or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. This applies for both 30000MH and 40000MH model transmissions, shallow or deep sump. Transynd - Main filter only to be changed initially at 5,000 miles. Beyond initial 5,000 mile service, the requirements are as follows: a) 3000MH (ahallow or deep sump)-Change filters at 36 months or 75,000 miles, whichever comes first. Fluid to be changed at 48 months or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. b) 4000MH deep sump-filters to be changed at 24 months or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. Fluid to be changed at 48 months or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. These previous service recommendations apply to non-retarder models.)

11) Keep Radiator Fins Clean to maintain an efficient, cool engine! Use air or a low pressure washer, steam and a degreaser. (No water in the "breather!")

... To Be Continued..........Chassis list, items 12-17, to follow in the next installment, along with other information.



No comments:

Post a Comment