Friday, January 25, 2013

Hobbies and Thrift Stores...an RVer's Thrill of the Hunt



Hobbies and Thrift Stoes…the Thrill of the Hunt
 by Terry Wright, guest writer

Thrift stores…… I had never been in a Thrift Store until a friend of mine, who was in charge of the table decorations for a CC Rally a few years back, decided to use Cowboy Boots as part of her centerpieces.  We started going to Thrift Stores to find them.  After collecting quite a few, she had one pair that would not stand up on the table.  Being of a “crafty” nature, I decided to try to do something with them…..I ended up making a “Cowboy Boot Purse”….It was a hit and everyone loved it…. The beginning of a new Hobby.  

So, I started shopping the Thrift Stores looking for old, gently used, boots that I could use.  I started picking up old cowboy belts for the strap and using the belt buckle for an ornament.  I gave them away to friends and family.  I was prodded by friends to start selling them.  Which I did…. I guess I have sold about 150 so far.  Not for any profit.  Just to recover my expenses and make enough to go BACK to the Thrift Store for more boots.


Since I was going to every Thrift Stores that I could find in our travels, I started looking around to see what else was available there…. I have found old books (which I love), lovely dishes, tablecloths, yarn, fabric and, you name it, I found it.  Little treasures here and there….I have taken friends, who have never been to a Thrift Store, with me and now they are addicted to them. 

I think my best buy was when we were in Florida.  My daughter and I were in a thrift store and she said “Mom, come look at this coat.” Well, I wasn’t looking for a coat so I told her I wasn’t interested.  She again said, “Mom, come look at this coat.” Well, I did, oh my goodness! It was a full length red suede coat with cowboy fringe on it. I tried it on and it fit.  I was afraid to look at the price but I did, $25.  Oh my goodness.  I just couldn’t pass it up.  I mean, living in Texas and having a coat like that…. How much better does that get.  I have been offered over $200 for it so far. I still have the price tag on it to prove my story.

Thrift Stores are a treasure trove of all kinds of things.  Some, of course, are better than others but I don’t think I have ever walked out empty handed.  You just might find the perfect thing for you to start a new hobby.  Beware, they are addicting.   Another one of my finds, which I love, is an old leather purse.  It must be 75 years old and is quite a conversation piece.  I paid $10 for it…  Another treasure!!!!

Recently I have been making quilts.  One of my quilts is called a Scrappy Quilt as it is made from left over fabric from other projects. I think my next one will be a Thrift Store Quilt from all the material I can find in Thrift Stores…. How much fun will that be????????

So, if you are traveling and need something fun to do, stop in a Thrift Store and look for some treasures. You just might find something that will fit into a hobby of yours (or be the start of an entirely new one!). Another good thing about these stores, most of their profit goes to charity and I like that. Happy shopping.

Closing Note: During a Kerrville TX Rally I had the opportunity to view these Terry Wright Original Cowboy Purses, and without doubt they are works of art. Who knew looking for rally table decorations would result in a new hobby! Warning: Thrift Stores can indeed become habit forming! Terry Wright and husband Ted are longtime motorcoaching enthusiasts. They invested many years in promoting this lifestyle and now enjoy many life-long friendships as a result! Thanks so much, Terry, for sharing this great article with us. –Sherry



No comments:

Post a Comment