Monday, November 19, 2012

Top 10 List-Most Beautiful...?


A New List for the Annual Tradeshow in Louisville?

If the Manufacturers Tradeshow held annually in Louisville, Kentucky included an
annual list of 10 most beautiful people in the RV industry I wonder what the 
criteria for making that list would be? And who might make the list? 

What would MY list look like? For me "beautiful" is a bright mind...A big passion...
An unflappable spirit...A deep conviction...A driving force...A joy in living that sustains 
one through the mountain top and desert places.

Here are a few Beautiful People I've encountered as I've traveled the
RV industry road these past 20+ years.

10) Damon Rapozo...when it comes to Motorcoach Product Knowledge (specifically 
Country Coach) he corners the market. To be a motorcoach sales person you have to 
also be trustworthy and loyal to your customers...Damon possesses a honest to
goodness love of people...which is why www.damonrapozo.com is a popular website

9) Jerry and Sherry O Connor. Thanks to a strong Work Ethic the O Connors 
reached the place where they could fully enjoy their mobile lifestyle. Meet up with 
Jerry and Sherry, and you're struck immediately by their welcoming personalities and 
that perpetual inner flame for Country Coach and the RV lifestyle. They Love Club Life 
(they are members of seven different clubs) and have a great outlook!   
As they travel down the road in their amazing Country Coach Prevost, their warm hand 
of Friendship and genuine interest in people touch all they meet. They epitomize for me 
the Country Coach owner. Class, Warmth, Love of the Lifestyle and Fellow Travelers

8) Opal Hale. I worked with many people over the years, but this petite little 
red-headed Dynamo taught me So Much about the catering side of a rally contract...
what to demand, what was fair market pricing on everything from a pony keg to a prime
rib dinner...what holds up best on a plate when you'll be serving 800 at a sitting...and 
she put in the hours! She was unflappable...under pressure she worked smarter, more
efficiently. When Opal had my back we were unstoppable! Thank you for being a part 
of my journey, Opal! I learned so much from you, and then knowing how you had risen 
above challenging circumstances and not only survived them but went on to become 
a savvy business woman, I am doubly in awe of your gifts.

7) Carol Taylor Clay. She taught me that when your manager says "Yes" to upper 
management on multi-step marketing campaigns, her whole team must figure out how 
to get it done...When Carol went to a management meeting she became known for 
saying Yes...and her team was often assigned new projects that also often came with 
"very short deadlines." My work ethic was sharpened during this period of my career as 
we delivered Results, not excuses. (Now I won't lie, privately I thought more than 
once "Seriously? You Didn't take that on too?!" But we always put creative hats on and 
shoulders to the plow and we made it happen.) Carol is on my list because through her 
management style I learned to adapt, work fast, think on my feet, to work smart,
improvise and get it done! And to have FUN while doing it!

6) Julie Otis. She defined loyalty, friendship and unparalleled commitment to her job on
the Country Coach team. If she believed in the program, if she trusted her manager(s),
she was ALL IN...I never had to question if the job was done. She'd move heaven
and hell to get it done. I lost my right arm when Julie left Country Coach. She went
on to lend her considerable expertise to another Oregon company and I hope they
realize what a Jewel they have in Julie. 

5) Matt Howard. Smartest individual I ever worked with, bar none. A truly brilliant mind. 
And I'll always appreciate his generosity to me and his faith in me! He removed barriers, 
held a mirror to my professional self and said "Use your gifts to make me look good..." 
then let me manage the Marketing and Technical Publication departments.He taught me 
that good leaders surround themselves with capable people who have a robust tool kit to 
succeed and then actually let's that team "make you look good"....I owe him a great deal....
and I STILL go to Matt when I don't know how to do something or for advice on things as I 
continue my Marketing adventure within this industry.

4) Terry Lee. It's just been in the last few years that I fully realized the amazing 
lady Terry Lee, Bob Lee's wife and partner, is and has been through out her career 
in this industry. Strong, unshakable, a wiz with finances, and supportive of husband 
Bob through all the highs and lows this industry has taken them through. I consider her 
a good friend to me. In my lowest professional period, it was a few conversations with this 
woman that helped me find my "next steps" after Country Coach, LLC had closed and I 
had invested a challenging 365 days immediately thereafter in an endeavor that left me 
somewhat soured and disenchanted. Terry was right in her advice--she probably doesn't
even know how close attention I paid to those phone conversations. I stayed the course; 
remained true to myself and continued in the field and RV industry I love...I'm thankful the 
unpleasant 1 percent of motorcoachers didn't sour me on my career path.
These days I look forward to each opportunity we have to catch up and I hold Terry in
the highest esteem! What a gifted, wise and loyal friend. Definitely a Beautiful person.

3) Vern and Phyllis Meighen--long time Country Coach owners who were the ultimate 
RV Rally Host and Hostess I ever worked with. Vern and I enjoyed a multi-year rally
planning "marriage" as we planned and presented a large annual rally in Oregon
for hundreds of motorcoaches. Vern has a sense of humor and a gift of gab at the
microphone unmatched in this industry! And Phyllis defines Class Act! At the 2012
Friendship Rally he announced on the last night of the rally he must "divorce me"
since he had retired from that position. He and Phyllis will remain family,
welcomed at the Fannings' dinner table anytime. I learned so much from them.

2) Pete Sutton (www.bottlecapsdesign.com) is the most talented graphic designer
ever met in this industry or outside of the industry. Currently busy marketing
Marathon Coach Corporation, Pete did for many years work in my department as
a Country Coach graphic artist responsible for Destinations magazine design and
many of the department's P.O.P and branding materials I managed. A man of
integrity, with more talent in his one pinky than I'll ever have, I relied on Pete heavily a
nd he always delivered! I know I have his lasting friendship and he has my lasting
admiration. Wherever he goes, I'm envious of anyone who has access to his talents. 

1) Bob Lee. Wow! I began this list with a definition of who'd make my beautiful people
list: For me "beautiful" is a bright mind...A big passion...An unflappable spirit...A deep
conviction...A driving force...A joy in living that sustains thru the mountain top and
desert places." ...Well that's Bob Lee. This MH/RV Hall of Fame inductee and founder
of Country Camper/Country Coach is ALL of those things. He is a pioneer in the RV 
industry, an enterprising entrepreneur who took a dream and made it reality...an
employer whose accessibility and open door policy created an employee base that
was comprised of some of the most loyal and talented employees in the industry.
He led by example, worked as hard as his Country Coach team, while serving in
various capacities within the industry he loves for many, many years. He has earned
his place in history and his #1 spot on my ten most beautiful people in the RV industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment